My husband and I love to travel and we’ve learned how to pack well + pack minimally together.
We just got back from a weeklong trip to the Bahamas and for this beach vacation we packed 1 carry-on suitcase. (Yes, for us to share!)
For this trip we had plenty of space for everything, we packed all the essentials and even brought things we didn’t wear.
So here’s a quick blog post about packing minimally, what to ask yourself + what we personally packed for our last vacation!
Why pack minimally?
- It’s less bags, meaning less bags to carry
- It saves room on the plane, in the car, hotel and taxis
- Teaches you how to plan well + innovate
2 Things to Think About:
- Maximizing space
- Maximizing items: reuse & rewear
Important Questions Before You Start to Pack:
- Where am I going? What will I be doing?
- What is the weather going to be like?
- What are my essentials?
- Can I make a few outfits out of the items I’m bringing?
- Where am I going? If it’s a place where I can buy said item if an emergency happens, do I have to pack it?
Here’s what we packed + how we did it for our 1 Week Beach Vaca:
- Her clothes:
- 4 swimsuits
- 2 pairs of pants + 1 pair of leggings
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 4 dresses
- 3 tank top
- Undies for a week
- Shoes: 1 running, 3 sandals
- His clothes:
- 2 swimsuits
- 1 pair of pants
- 3 pairs of shorts
- 3 button down shirts
- 2 t-shirts
- Boxers for a week
- Shoes: 1 running, 1 sandal
- 6 oz. of Shampoo + Conditioner to share
- 4 oz. bottle of sunscreen
- Feminine products
- Perfume + Cologne
- 2 bottles of .5 oz. Essential Oils
- Hair Brush
- Tooth brushes
- Medicine: Dramamine
Roll your clothes! We rolled everything we brought, put our intimates in the zippered compartment & placed our shoes in another zippered compartment.
We both also brought small backpacks as our personal items. As a woman I’ve learned that sometimes things happen unexpectedly & now I am always prepared! Here’s a list of the items in my backpack: small purse, flying documents, 2 books, sunglasses, pair of sandals, an extra change of clothes & jean jacket, along with a small bag of feminine products & medicine (because I get motion sick really easily). And for my husband, he put his camera, wallet & an extra sweatshirt in his backpack!
We love traveling light, and sharing a bag, suitcase or backpack is fun for us! It truly has taught us that we can innovate, rewear clothes/outfits, and that we don’t need everything we think we do. We’ve learned how to share better & have realized that the adventure is the trip itself, so there’s no room to worry if we packed the right amount stuff!
I hope you feel inspired for your next adventure! Bon voyage!